I Am Somebody - Glen Jones

 

398. I Am Somebody - Glen Jones.

 

1357565231_front

Some people buy a big and fat car, others invest in houses. Some buy expensive and nice suits others focus on hair products. Still others go for intense muscle pumping, extreme competitions, fat skiing, cycling, professional cleverness or blogging. They all want to show that they are something. Glen Jones, on the other hand, is not a modest guy and is not content to say it indirectly. On the other hand, he sings it straight out on a single he probably thinks is the hit of the times. Ironically, few of us today know who he is, so we must consider his statement as a statement rather than a truth. However, he must be right that he is literally right. He's someone.

The learned circles are somewhat divided as to why he had this need to mark his pondus. However, they are all gathered in the background for this outbreak. Glen Jones, like many other disco singers, began his career as a gospel singer. Here he learned the good news that God loves everyone and knows who we are. This means that each of us is very special in the eyes of God. In 1980, however, he joined the sacred R&B project of jazz drummer Norman Connors (Hey, even more jazz J) and sang on the song "Melancholy Fire" on the "Take it To The Limit" album. This record was successful enough for them to tour together and it was now all went wrong.

This is where the camps are divided into two. One group believed that Glen Jones was high on the bulb and believed that the world was at his feet. With a cultivated ego filled with enthusiasm, he therefore set out to put the world under his feet. The other group, on the other hand, believes that Glen Jones was not high on the bulb. All he wanted was to mark his independence from Connors. An independence that had been strongly suppressed by Connors who constantly saw opportunities to humiliate Jones. Both groups base their theories on loose speculation with little root in reality. So it is difficult to come to any conclusion as to who is right. There is a high probability that both are wrong.

REPORT THIS AD

In Am Somebody was to be the start of a long solo career that created some hits and a lot of list fills. This song deserved a 30th place on R&B in 1983. After this, his soul was to be filled with 80's R&B and therefore does not get any more attention.

The song starts as something rail from the 80's. A synth bass, cube bells and another weird synth riff. Then a few strings kick in and we get a perfectly good chorus chorus over the title text. The verse stumbles away until we get some hard piano chords that give a little better drive in it. When the chorus comes back, it is more audible. In the same vein, he lets his megalomania go crazy. The lyrics to the song follow a lousy recipe and morality that says something like "you can be sure you want, just look at me. I was also down but now I'm fine and this hit must be proof of that. " To that I can answer that the quality of the song shows how far you get with such a lifeless approach in life. The universe is not yours, but you can create a meaningful life anyway.(my moral) Now you have actually heard everything the song has to offer but it continues for another five minutes anyway. For those who wonder why I can sometimes show such great contempt for the 80's and especially the direction r & b took in this decade. Then you can see the other video that is right below here. Also by Glen Jones.



(2nd place on the r & b list in 1987 * shake your head *)

 

woke up one morning

And saw the handwriting on the wall

Time was passing me by so fast

I was not moving at all

So I looked in the mirror

And said to myself

«To live in this world,

You've got to believe in yourself. " (believe in yourself)

I am Somebody, somebody

And the Universe is mine

I am somebody, somebody

And the world belongs to me

I am Somebody, (somebody)

And the Universe is mine

I am Somebody, (somebody)

And the world belongs to me. (Repeat)

When I realized

That it was me

My life began to change

There was nothing

I could not be

If you're listening to this song


And your life is going wrong

Just look in the mirror

And sing this magic song

Life is a mystery

Oh, a game to be played, yeah

But if I'm to win at all, my friend

It's only for me to say…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why The I-Threes never sang backup behind Gregory Isaccs on "Material Man" from his 1982 album, "Night Nurse"

Prince & The Revolution - Let's Go Crazy (1984)

Air Supply - The Power Of Love (You Are My Lady) (1985)